Friday, August 10, 2012

The Quest for Chuck Wagon Worthy Biscuits

Mamaw Peters, my great-grandmother, was a celebrated country cook, and a particularly good baker. Her red velvet cake is pretty much legendary within our family. The baking tradition has been passed down through the generations, with one of my cousins even placing second in a nationally televised pie baking competition.


But I, somehow, missed out on Mamaw's biscuit making mojo. Oh sure complicated recipes like German Chocolate Cake and Red Velvet Cake I have mastered, but the simple southern biscuit recipe has been doing me in.

Then, this morning's biscuits came out looking light and fluffy. Delicate and flakey even.


Biscuit nirvana, I thought. And then the first bite. Like a rock, a big doughie rock . . . with a little butter.

I think it's time I turn to the experts to find that chuck wagon worthy biscuit recipe. I saw these guys talking about their chuckwagon cookbook, Barbecue Biscuits & Beans, on In the Bunkhouse with Red Steagall not long ago. It's going on my shopping list pronto.

2 comments:

  1. And I will always be grateful that you taught me (and shared the recipe) to that fabulous (best I've ever eaten) red velvet cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you, Lori, for teaching me everything I know about Chinese cooking and tea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed and added shortly.